The drive up to Petroni Vineyards was windy and definitely interesting...we saw donkeys along the side of the road and had to take a picture before making our way up the hill to a beautiful Italian inspired estate. We were warmly greeted by Elizabeth, the Tasting Room and Events Manager, and began our experience right away with a delicious taste of Chardonnay. We were immediately impressed and anxious to try more wines. We tasted our way through several varietals, once I tried their "experiment" bottle, the Unfiltered Pinot Noir, I was hooked!
We were then served delicious focaccia and estate grown olive oil. On this warm March afternoon, it just felt like a perfect day: there was soft Italian music playing in the background, we were seated out by the pool, and it was very relaxing. Two hours passed and our experience concluded. We purchased the Pinot Noir ($34) four ourselves, because I couldn't walk away without it! We also bought their perfect and elegant Cabernet Sauvignon ($70) for our friend Anita, who found Petroni, secretly paid for everyone's tasting, and introduced us all to a great winery in Sonoma. We can't wait to return!
Tips - Petroni Vineyards:
- The tasting fee is $25 a person, and the winery is by appointment. Give them a call to make sure that they will have a seat for you!
- Head to this place early on, driving up and down the windy roads may be tough after a few tasting appointments.
- Relax and enjoy this experience, Petroni isn't a pop-in, pop-out kind of place, reserve at least 1 1/2 hours for this appointment.
- If you love the wines, their wine club starts around $70/shipment and you can receive up to four tasting fees waived with membership to the club.
- If you are in San Francisco, you can purchase their wines at their Italian restaurant, North Beach Restaurant.