Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wine Tasting in SF Series: Ruby Wine in Potrero Hill


I'm going to be featuring several fun wine tasting experiences in SF over the next few weeks while I finish up studying for two big exams (GMAT and PMP). They will both be behind me by May 1st, thankfully! Until then, I'm going to be limited to the city for most of my WineTastic Weekends. There is nothing more satisfying than a fun new adventure around San Francisco, especially after hours of mind numbing studying, and I am really enjoying finding new places to share with you.


I just found Ruby Wine in Potrero Hill and I LOVE it! This cute little shop, conveniently located near a few wonderful restaurants in San Francisco, is the perfect pre-dinner date on a Friday night. The shop itself is small, but cute, with racks of fabulous wines all over the place. Alex and I walked into the shop while toughing out the hour-long wait at no reservations accepted but totally worth the wait, Chez Maman. It was seven o'clock on a Friday night, and fortunately for us, every Friday (from 5-8pm) Ruby Wine features a wine tasting of 4-5 wines with cheeses, breads, and salami for $10. This week they were featuring delicious French wines, and we had a blast! The atmosphere is laid back with a kick of cool. They were playing music, everyone was very friendly, and the entire experience was the perfect way to make the time fly by.


Browsing through the store I noticed that most of Ruby Wine's bottles are around $25, but they also carry a few pricey bottles in the $100-$200 range. They offer wines from all over the world, and the local wines that they offer are not the ones that you would find at your local BevMo. I was very excited when I found the Fort Ross Sea Slopes Pinot Noir ($27) in the shop, I had tasted it at a wine event in the past, but had never seen it at any wine shops since. I thought about purchasing it online, but didn't want to pay the shipping fees. I couldn't believe that they actually had it here! We bought a bottle and took it with us to dinner. Chez Maman charged a $15 corkage fee, and served us a glass to enjoy while we waited for the remaining 15 minutes before we were seated. It was a perfect date and I highly recommend checking out Ruby Wine then having a romantic dinner date, the next time that you are in the area on a Friday night. For a preview of their weekly Friday night flights, "like" the Ruby Wine facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment