Friday, December 21, 2012

Tres Sabores Winery: My Perfect Napa Experience


If I could only pick one winery experience to best describe what I enjoy the most while wine tasting, it would have to be the time that I’ve spent at Tres Sabores. I recently enjoyed my second visit to the winery, and from start to finish it was perfection. I brought two of my girlfriends that I knew would appreciate the amazing wines and natural philosophies behind this hidden gem. We were warmly greeted by two beautiful golden retrievers, and then met bubbly Ashley for a sip of Rose to begin our tasting experience. We took in the picturesque views of the valley from the back patio and munched on salami and cheese as we enjoyed our tasting.



Julie Johnson, the owner and winemaker of Tres Sabores, joined us and guided our small group through the property and caves. This was a very special treat, she is such an inspiring woman and an incredible winemaker. Julie is very humble about her many accomplishments as a winemaker. She creates the most amazing Zinfandel that I have ever tasted. It had set such an impression on me from the previous visit, that I had to come back for more to taste (and to take home)! Her wines are not ones that you will find at any mass retailer or even at most wine shops, but head to Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc, and maybe you will be lucky enough to find it by the glass. (Kind of a BIG deal!)
 

As we walked through the property with Julie we learned so much about her methodology around growing the fruits, replenishing the soils we a mixture of different seeded plants, and how the sheep play a role in maintaining the winery. We then entered the cave and were treated to barrel samples of several upcoming cabernet sauvignon vintages. It was amazing to taste the just barreled 2012 juice compared to the beautifully aging 2011, almost ready to bottle 2010, and the perfect 2008 Napa Cab! It made me very excited for her 2011 vintage, especially since 2011 has been plagued with rumors of not being such a wonderful year. I can tell you first hand, in the case of Tres Sabores – the rumors couldn’t be further from the truth.
The girls and I truly had the best time, and this experience is going to be pretty difficult to beat for my personal Napa style! I recommend the wine tasting experience at Tres Sabores for someone who is passionate about wine, interested in nature, ready for a laugh (or two), loves dogs, and is looking for great wine that is difficult to find. The fee is $25/person and the winery is by appointment only. I will definitely be back soon and can’t wait to share this experience with some of you!



Tips - Tres Sabores Winery:
  • There is a tour and tasting experience available by appointment only at the winery. Please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
  • If you're going to plan a tour or tasting here, make this your first or second stop. You won't regret it!
  • Expect to spend 1-1.5 hours here...this is a place where you will definitely want to take your time. 
  • Plan a little extra time for the drive, and try to come on a dry day if possible.
  • Wear your walking shoes, you will want to tour around the property, and this is not a place for stilettos!

No comments:

Post a Comment